History and demographic profile
Historically, the land is part of the area used by the Dja Dja Wurrung Tribe, however since European settlement in the 1830’s, the land has been used for agricultural purposes, particularly hobby farming, sheep and cattle grazing, timber and vineyards.
When the first freehold land was granted in 1854, the area that is now Sedgwick was known as Upper Emu Creek. The Emu Creek rises in hills south of the district and runs into Axe Creek that in turn runs into the Campaspe River.
The earliest settlers known to hold leases in the area were named Howard, Simpson, Williams, Sallows, Carter, Osborne, Brennan, and Broadbent.
The population has increased substantially since the early 1990s, as a result of subdivision and new development in the area. Generally the Sedgwick area is zoned for Rural Living, allowing minimum 20 acre lots.
The 2006 Census data indicates that 858 people reside in the Sedgwick area with an even split between males and females. The area is home to a significant number of couple families with children (52 %) and couples without children (41%). The Census data indicates that 24.6% of the population usually resident in Sedgwick were children aged between 0-14 years compared to 19.8% across Australia, and 24.1% were persons aged 55 years and over.
Popular cyclist route
Sedgwick is a popular training route for competitive or road riding cyclists and is well used as part of a circuitous route that goes out to Sutton Grange and back through Strathfieldsaye. Also important is the proximity of the crown land to the east of the recreation reserve, accessed along Boyd Lane. This area is accessible for mountain bike riding and has good tracks (such as Myer Road and Barty Road) that connect through to Emu Creek. The Sedgwick Recreation Reserve provides an excellent start/finish point or rest point in the network of crown land and bushland trails in this area.